Hello everyone. I decided to finish Ruth before I misplace her. When a sampler has uneven edges, I never know how to center it. A border makes it easier but it has to be stitched, and I have borderitis. Measuring from the furthest stitch on each side makes the margin even, but not always appealing. I tried centering it differently this time.
I fused the interfacing, measured the margin, marked with the Frixion, and then machine basted on that mark. Folding the fabric on that line showed me if it would be a good seam placement. Once it looked balanced, I added the backing (right sides together) and the basting was easily visible from the backside because I used a darker thread. Since I needed to mark the front, the pen alone would not have been seen on the back. Sewing along the basting line was very easy and I knew it would be right, no more removing, adjusting, re-sewing.
Being lazy and liking primitive style works well together. For the back pocket, I tore the fabric and left all edges frayed, used a zigzag stitch to attach, fringed the linen's top edge and folded it over, glued it shut. I think I'm getting more lazy with each finish. Two squares of thick quilt batting inside and I have a firm flat pillow.