Free

Jul 17, 2026

Filling corners

Hiya.

Had a few questions about my pillow finishes.  The filling is Silky Soft.  I've used sawdust but I worry about any staining that may happen from the wood fibers so I line with muslin.  Also helps with the dust.  Crushed walnut shells are perfect for berries and small items but it does shift.  Corners for the ones filled with nuts or dust are always stuffed with the poly fill.  Not sure if anyone else does that but I prefer it.  I've gone so far as to use quilt batting strips to outline the shape before filling the body.  That outline helps minimizes the shifting and allows for a tight pack.

I did a post many years ago about the Steam and Smash which is how every one of the pillows are finished.  By steaming the fill as you go along, it creates a dense and more even finish.  I didn't like how the centers were puffed which pulls the sides in.  

The first fill goes into the corners.  I have a old letter opener that is not sharp or perfectly flat which prevents a poke through the backing or the linen.  I slide it against the inside of the sewn edges to smooth out any seam allowance bunching, then add fill.

Once the corner is stuffed, insert and push the metal blade to hold it in place, steam press it.  I need to steam several times to get the density I want with this Silky Soft.  Other products can almost melt and get flat and hard quickly.  This product doesn't and takes several attempts to decrease the puffy.
Continue stuffing the body and steam as you go, adjusting where needed.  The blade is only used for the corners. A final pressing when the pillow is done.

I purchased corner tools and inevitably created a hole with just about all of them. I have two old metal nail files that have an oval tip which work also.  Any plastic will of course melt with the heat.  Even if the corners are not steamed before filling, the center once smashed will help prevent that square from becoming an X.  Using the envelope method to close (this post) 

gives good access from the back to the corners if you're not happy with them.  Opening can be vertical or horizontal.  Using this method is great with thick quilt batting.  One or two layers cut to fit perfectly with slightly beveled edges, creates an flat even thickness with no steaming needed.  Whatever you prefer, it's all good.  My preference is dense and padded but not puffy.

Hope this answers your questions.

Still working on the Santa and deciding which one of the two chosen projects will be next.

The next several posts, no stitching involved.  Just the story of the situation which I hoped was coming to a close.  So far, it has not.  I will explain the sleepless nights and anger I can't seem to let go.  Not a pleasant story at all, read or ignore until Santa appears!

********************

8 comments:

Maureen said...

Thank you so much for sharing your methods for filling your corners. They always look great and I will enjoy using your tips.
As a long time reader of your blog I'd like to say (and dare I speak for others?) we are here for you in the good times and the bad.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Wow. I've followed you a long time and read many, many, of your posts - including those on finishing - but I must have somehow missed the part about steaming the stuffing. I do like using sawdust and walnut shells but dislike the "dip" in the middle that usually (always for me) happens. Thanks so much for this post. Hopefully I'll remember next time I do a tuck/pillow finish. (Of course that involves stitching something first....) I'm sorry the situation has not been resolved but we will be here to listen. Sometimes letting it out is cathartic. I'll be here but perhaps a bit slower than I even usually am.... Issues with Baby No. 2....sounds like she will be making her debut early next week like it or not and since Little Girl No. 1 has never been anywhere overnight without one of her parents, I guess I will be doing Gigi duty "there" rather than "here."

Truus said...

Did know the method of filling with sawdust and walnutshells,but cann't remember with the steam....thanks for explaining Marly.
I agree with Maureen-- we are here for you.
Take care,Truus from Holland

Robin said...

Thanks for some great tips. R

Rugs and Pugs said...

Great information! Will I remember it the (rare) time I make a pinkeep? Probably not…sigh. Your finishes are always perfection.
We are all good listeners and are “here” for you.

JustGail said...

Thank you for sharing how your pillow finishes turn out so nicely. I don't recall reading about steaming the filling before? The only trick I know about preventing corners from sticking out is more suited to sewing large decorative pillows, where you sew the seam so it angles in at the ends. I think the change in seam angle would be too obvious on little cross stitch pillows.
I'm glad you have decided it's time to share the situation. Hopefully it will help unload it from your mind.

Mary said...

Some in my stitch group questioned my use of sawdust to fill smalls, and their thoughts were same as yours - staining in the future. I'm 71. I have not seen any of mine stain. Perhaps in the next 25 years? I don't think I'll concern myself with sawdust. My children won't want half the stitching I've done anyway.

Carol said...

I'm sure this post was very helpful to so many, Marly! Your finishes always look wonderful. I finish my pillows the same way. I think I first learned about the steam and press method on Brenda Gervais' old website--what a game-changer. I still do the opening on the bottom, though, rather than the envelope method. I sure hope this situation gets resolved soon; perhaps sharing the story will help... Hang in there! ♥

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting. I welcome your comments, help, ideas, and thoughts....or just a hello!