Free

Jun 30, 2026

Great ideas


 A quick trip to the jewelry making aisle yielded what I hoped.

 Dark gray

Mulberry

Dark blue



Thanks for the suggestions!

Nail polish on pin heads to match color ... brilliant!  A substantial grosgrain, another good one.   Horsehair braid or boning would also work very well.  I have some left from JoAnns.  Inserted into folded seam bindng would be ideal.  I need to check my boning but I think it's half inch, too wide for this.  I'm sure I can find narrower online.  But for these, I already found the beads and I'm happy with them.  

I use boning to slip into a narrow hem at the top of my samplers.  Most are not framed and I press edges to the back, fringe or hem the bottom, and hang freely.  The boning prevents sagging or stretching.  Enough is left for mounting in case I want to frame later.  Or the person who buys it from Goodwill does

Now about those Bubblegum.  From the start, I check for single stems in the center, cut right above the first leaf set.  I do a few more every few weeks and the stems sprout several new branches keeping the center full with new growth. 


They grow back quickly and I trim off the multiples too when straggly.  


 

Impatiens are the same, I keep them trimmed and get full centers, really dense.  

That's it.

Behave.  Stay cool.

***********


10 comments:

Maureen said...

Based on the pretty color match of those beads for each of your stitches, I'd say that finish choice was meant to be. Thank you for your pruning tips : )

JustGail said...

zip ties work well as boning, comes in various sizes, file or run over flame to smooth the ends after cutting

Mary said...

Just coming on to say thank you so much for continuing to blog so often; I've followed you for years. I love that you are doing smalls - so refreshing after watching FlossTube and seeing the mountains of samplers, stash, and assignments they have to get things done. Crazy. Thanks for all you inspire in the stitching community.

JustGail said...

those beads will be fantastic finish for these. I'll be adding the jewelry section to my list of places to look for trims. And thanks for the tips on how you keep your Bubblegums so beautifully full.
from yesterday's post - I love your floss box! Do I ever think of it when I see a box like that? No, all I think is "where would I set it?" and leave it behind. I'd probably feel better about my DMC boxes in the closet if I ever get them organized. Also, I hope the different injection method gives you better results.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Looking forward to your finishes! Too sweet.

TheCrankyCrow said...

I'm so mixed up with posts when they come at me out of order.... Anyway... The beads are gonna be perfect! The jewelry aisle, huh? Who would have thought it? And the boning sounds intriguing. I didn't realize such a thing was even available anymore. I'm pretty sure I commented on your amazing 'tunias on your last post (which was before you actually posted the...so, see why I'm confused?) but didn't comment on the knee injections. Wow...can't believe they would have been done without the ultrasound guidance. Mine have always been done that way and it was reassuring. Hoping yours go well - or at least better than what you've been used to??

Truus said...

Those beads are a great finish to your stitching.
Take care,Truus from Holland

Prims By The Water said...

You did a fabulous job of matching bead color to each piece. Never would have thought looking in the jewelry aisle but does make sense. Janice

diamondc said...

Hi Marly: What a great idea to use beads for finishing, I am looking forward to seeing them fully finished.
Love the Bubblegum color, so pretty.

Catherine

Carol said...

Oh, I never would have thought of adding those beads, Marly---what a great ides. And the colors you found are perfect. Your summer plants always look so gorgeous... ours are so scraggly looking probably because I'm afraid of pruning. So, thanks for the tips! Maybe I'll get my nerve up this year!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...