I chose 46 count because I want as small as possible. Several changes to colors. Couldn't wait to start. Still monogamous! But I found several large samplers that were started, set aside. If I have no desire to complete them, are they still WIPs?
But still planning to complete the Pal, not much left to do.
A question regarding linen. Mentioned in a comment about direction, but I'm clueless. Should selvage edge be top or side? If my piece is a small cut without selvage, how do I know? Does it matter?
It's August. Dammit.
Enjoy your day.
***********


5 comments:
It was me who mentioned the selvedge in an earlier post. It should be at the side, just like if you were buying a metre of cotton fabric, the part with the name of the fabric/designer etc is the side of the pattern. I'm afraid I don't know how to tell the right way up if you don't have a selvedge, maybe someone else will know.
Love your guy and happy to see you will finish this one.
Will you finish the large stitching pieces??
I only know that the selvegde are at the side and even don't know if there is a front or back of the fabric.
Take care, Truus from Holland
It's very warm here in the Netherlands at these days....about 35 degrees Celsius
I *try* to put selvedge on the side. If no selvedge...sometimes the linen will stretch a bit more in 1 direction than the other. I put the direction with least stretch (the warp) vertical on the project. Supposedly it will sag less over time as the warp threads are under tension during weaving. However, if I have a piece of linen the right size I'll use it whichever way the pattern fits, especially on a small project. Right side vs wrong side - I've not a clue how to tell unless it's linen with a printed design.
IMHO, if the unfinished samplers are still in your possession, they're still WIPs.
This is going to be good!!! Like Sandra, Truus, and Gail said above, selvedge to the side....But I find it a rare thing indeed to find a piece of linen that can be used for a project that (a) has a selvedge and/or (b) will work with the selvedge on the side size/placement wise. The last project I attempted to pick up is a prime example. It was a special cut for an odd-sized design and when I received it, the selvedge is at one of the narrow sides of the piece which would make it have to be top or bottom.
Great advise. When I have a mystery piece of linen I really do not care. I just start stitching. Janice
Post a Comment