Hiya. First off, in answer to some emails, I use Staples' see through envelopes which go on sale for $2 (reg 2.99) and $1 (reg 1.99) every once in a while. It's expandable and holds it all, including the smaller envelope filled with floss, and your fabric. Load 'em up and stack 'em high. Ready to go. Unless you mess around with linen experimentation because you're never happy. And look at the coin purse I found at JoAnn's! It's black canvas and lined in black. Patti's purse is still on my mind and I would love to try making one. I'm thinking of slipping the stitched piece over the purse after tracing and sewing, hand sewing the edge around the frame, with chenille or piping if needed. Things never go as planned so maybe starting from scratch would be easier.
On to the linens I wanted to play with for the large samplers.
Next, the walnut stain. I used a double dose of walnut powder stain and soaked the light fabric - beautiful! I read to be careful using the walnut dye because it will stain anything and forever. Not so. I don't know if I got a bad batch or what, but it didn't stain the towel, carpeting, t-shirt, pants, tub, mat, counter, ironing board cover, wall, curtain, or sneakers that somehow ended up with the stain. Everything cleaned up and it rinsed completely out so I soaked it again and didn't rinse. Beautiful. But as it hung to dry, it developed streaks from dripping. Did it again, and wrung it, hung it, only had one blotch. Great! Then I discovered why it is risky to not rinse out a stain before stitching... When I used a damp rag on the blotch to remove the excess color, it became a bigger problem. The same happened with coffee that wasn't rinsed out. If a drop of water drips from your ice cold glass, a tear from a sad movie, sweat from a hot flash, or any moisture, it will create a noticeable problem. The color is removed from that damp spot and spreads outward creating a dark ring that cannot be corrected except by rinsing the stain/color from the entire piece. A disaster that may never happen but I'm not always careful when stitching and would never take that chance on a large project. Aging after completion is a great method but it wasn't what I was trying to accomplish. I wanted to see if it was possible to get the shade/color I wanted before starting a particular project, without permanent commercial dye. The final note to the experiment.....the count did change somewhat with shrinkage, but only on the raw/unbleached pieces.