Free

Jun 28, 2026

Now what?

Cording?

I can't see how ribbon would not sink into the ditch.  


I changed the fabric on this one because it was more taupe, you can see this linen is more green.

Do I really need to cover the ditch where the two disc's meet?  Maybe just hang from a ribbon knotted at the top?  I lost all my stitching friends to express opinions, the others have no interest so you are my sounding board.  The one remaining owned a shop years ago, suffered an aneurysm where the heart cath tube inserted, and had extensive surgery from palm to above elbow.  The ulnar nerve was involved and her recovery may not restore full function.  Some progress after 18 months, but a ways to go.  Holding a needle may never happen, and I don't want to make that worse by showing her what she is missing.

Uh oh.  Just thought of a solution.  I will look for beads that go with each piece and space them in the ditch.  I think that is a good option and will mimic pins.

There is news on the situation that is good in one way, bad in another.  And I am doubtful it will actually happen.

Have a good last Monday in June.

**********

9 comments:

Prims By The Water said...

A good solution to your problem. I plan on doing some rectangular designs similar to what you did with two pieces, but I am going to attach the ribbon to the fabric one before adding the stitched piece on top. Janice

Robin in Virginia said...

Beads would be a good solution, Marly.

Truus said...

You could also close the gap with the hemstitch and place in between this your cord for hanging. Hope you will have a great day
Take care, Truus from Holland

Anonymous said...

What about twisted cord?

JustGail said...

I wonder if stitching front/back together with a close-ish whip stitch, then add the ribbon on top? That might keep the ribbon from sinking in or showing the gap. I think unless it's a fairly sturdy (or very narrow?) ribbon, they need something in the gap first, whether a line of supporting stitches or stuffing something in the space. I do like your idea of beads.
Bummer on no longer having in-person stitching friends, and especially your friend's hand woes. I think I'd be tempted to start learning to stitch with the opposite hand. Though that's probably easier said than done. I hope there's some real progress toward resolving the situation soon.

Anonymous said...

Beads are a great solution but, to be hones5, I don’t think you need a thing. The gap Is so small. You did a beautiful finishing job. Lisa B

Lisa B said...

Hate when I forget to change Anonymous to my name.

TheCrankyCrow said...

I ADORE these!!! They are perfect as is if you ask me...even if you just displayed them like you have them in your hand...backwards and no stitching showing LOL. But, I get it...and you made me try to remember how I have finished the few I've done. From the couple I have handy, I guess I have a predilection for pins with heads that coordinate with the stitching/backing. On one I remember specifically - likely because it was a PITA to do - I used a bias tape that I stitched on and then added pins to it. I could not find the really small bias tape in the color I wanted so had to "modify" a larger one. That wasn't so bad...figuring out what to do at the end to finish it off where the two ends met was a nightmare. I'm sure whatever you do will be absolutely perfect. And so sorry about your friend. I am having a flare of my PA/AS and the pain in my hand at times is debilitating and I worry of a time when I can't hold a needle or even a hook. No stitching friends here either though I'm fortunate to have a hooker down the lane.

Anonymous said...

A “sturdy” narrow grosgrain ribbon works well to cover the gap. Have to admit that I attach with Aileen’s Tacky Glue—just small amount on a toothpick.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...