Nov 3, 2011

Finishing a freebie!

Hello people!    I'm still playing with interfacing and decided to try a shape without corners.  Since I don't have any - that I can find or remember stitching - I made one up.  And guess what?  I don't like it.  I used Jobelan for the project as a test for the Santa ornaments.   I would have much preferred one floss color for the alphabet on an unusual linen color.  And after all my bleaching and dyeing - I have that!    Instead, I picked five fall colors on sage Jobelan that was later coffee stained. 

I'm going to post the chart and template at the end of the post if you would like to stitch the pear.  If you don't want to be bored through my photos and routine instructions, just scroll down.   Blogger has changed the format when you click on a photo but you can still right click to print or "save as" when the new page opens.
*******
Please understand that posts sharing my experiments or trials certainly are not meant to imply that you need my advice or that I know it all.  After 25 years, I'm learning again, and dragging you down with me!  I get emails from readers asking for more clear information on subjects, as well as emails telling me the mistakes I am making, or suggestions to help.  So I'm learning from you while I'm sharing my progress.   
*******
    After I stitched the piece, I used a marker and just followed the outline at least an inch from the stitches on one side.  Folding it exactly in half and then cutting on the outline gave me evenly matched sides, then stitched right sides together to a piece of felt. 

I used my presser foot as an edge guide and I could have sewn in a little further for a smaller piece.  Now to cut the facing.  


I placed the pear over the facing and used a thick needle to pierce through the seam, poking holes in the facing beneath.  You then have a perforated outline to trace, fold, and cut.  I had trouble seeing the holes so I placed a dark fabric beneath.  Minor adjustments and cuts were made to fit inside. 

 After pressing the Decor Bond, I decided to hem it a little higher and had no problem pulling the facing off the fabric a little and cutting more off.  If you need to make an adjustment, reheating with the iron will allow the facing to be lifted, repositioned, or cut.  Pressed the seams open and turned it out.  No facing on the felt, it stood by itself, and held the shape nicely.  

I'm using quilt batting again instead of the loose fill and just cut to fit the shape.  Pretty easy finish once again!  Now I'm anxious to see how both coarse and fine linen work.  I did finally get a silicone finger to prevent burns when ironing seams open and it worked fine.  (And hid the crooked bumpy joint.)
 








 So here's the chart if you would like to stitch the pear shape along with the template.  I had a heck of a time trying to get this to scan properly.  Click on the chart/template, then right click and hit print and it should print the correct size.  If not, try "save as".   I must have used half a ream of paper testing the copies and scans but I did get a nice fire out of the deal.   I'll test again once it's posted and if it doesn't work, I'll try again.  Your seam will be stitched inside the template, width depending on your seam guide.  Don't forget to add a little rolled piece of felt/wool for the stem, or a real one!  Add the little leaf and there you go.  I think I will stitch one on my saffron linen, a greenish shade, and a darker brown, all different thread counts.  Several sizes and colors in a display might look pretty darn nice.  And if not, they'll make a nice hostess or exchange gift. 
Hope you like this little freebie!!!  
Thanks for the visit.
Oh!  One more thing.  If you're a Yankee Candle fan, they are having a buy 2 get 2 free offer on their large jars and tumblers.  Go to their website and use code CATH211 or I can email a coupon to use in participating stores.  Great holiday gifts for a good price!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...